- I went to a vocational high school and have a certificate in drafting; both architectural and mechanical. This was before CAD/CAM became a thing, so it’s a dead skill for me. Loved designing houses though!
2. My military career started in the mid-1980s. I was a ‘Signal Intelligence Morse Interceptor‘ which is a fancy way of saying I copied the morse code communications of the armed forces of hostile foreign powers. Don’t know if that’s still a thing or not, but in the mid to late 1980s, I heard code in my sleep.
3. I broke my right hand – my dominant hand – in a freak motorcycle accident in 2005. I’m now missing a knuckle and I have pins and plates in my hand. I haven’t been able to throw a ball properly since or grip a bat or a golf club. I can’t even chuck a corn hole bean bag effectively and bowling is completely out of the question.
4. Despite my short stature (I’m all of 5′ tall on a good day) and hand handicap, I excel at pool volleyball and can ace most serves. You’re gonna get wet when I send the ball over the net!
5. Needles scare the crap out of me and having my blood drawn is usually an adventure in fainting. During my 21
That’s five…whew! This is both embarrassing and cathartic.
Five More Weird Facts
6. I can recite almost every line in the original ‘Dirty Dancing‘ movie. Not afraid to admit I crushed on the pairing of Swayze and Grey, yet I hear it told that they barely got along during filming after their earlier meeting in the movie, ‘Red Dawn‘. I miss Patrick Swayze and cried when he passed away.
7. The area I live in is deep ‘red’…deep. Some of the same people who have accepted my wife and
8. I drove very occasionally without a license from ages 18 to 19. Oh, I had a proper legal permit at 16, but I went into the military at 17 and never went on to test and get a license. Didn’t stop me from driving my then boyfriend’s truck occasionally. He actually (and unknowingly) helped me get my first legal license. He thought I had one all along – and I can say that now because he’s long gone and the statute of limitations is up! I’ve been driving legally for more than thirty years.
There’s that catharsis of old guilt again…
9. Harry Potter? The Hunger Games? Never read them. With all due respect to J.K. Rowling (amazing!) and to Suzanne Collins, those sorts of works just aren’t my thing. I tried to read the first Harry Potter book. Made it about a quarter of the way before putting it down forever. Before the movies came out, I had to look up things like ‘Hufflepuff’ and ‘Slytherin’ to know what people were talking about. Those are among the few times I found movies preferable to books.
10. Anne Hagan is a pen name. My real name is Michelle Hagans. Why use a pen name? Look up Michelle Hagans on Facebook and in Google and then you tell me. Oh, there are a lot of people named Anne Hagan too, but they’re not authors and they don’t have Goodreads and Amazon profiles. Who wants to compete with all of those other Michelle’s?!
There you have it; ten weird facts. My dirtiest secrets – okay, not so dirty – are all out.
Now, tell me something people don’t know about you!