Let’s talk about Twitter. I’m a fan. Oh, I wasn’t at first, but over time the platform really grew on me. It fills a void for me that other social media networks don’t approach. How?
I have a lot of fellow author friends. I have a few fans of my work too. On Twitter, I can catch up with all of them and what they’re up to in a couple of minutes. I can have a conversation with them publicly or privately. Most importantly for me, support is a tweet away.
Hate Twitter? Think it’s full of nothing but political trolls? You’re probably not using it right. Block those people. Yes, they’ll know you blocked them. So what! It’s your feed. Think it’s a time suck? Don’t let it frustrate you. Make it a positive and uplifting thing for you. How? Use lists.
You can create lists on Twitter of people you follow or even that you don’t follow and then make those lists public or private. I’ve created four lists and I’m on or I subscribe to another 16 that have been shared publicly.
Of my own four lists, one is private and is my go-to list to catch up with the people I interact with frequently or people who post great things I find myself sharing often. I’ve simply called the private list I keep, ‘personal’. I’m an author so it’s a list of 111 people, many of them also authors and/or readers, that I interact with frequently. Others on the list are people I find that have inspiring or important things to say or things that are helpful to me as I write.
Another list I use often is my public ‘lesfic’ list. On it are mostly authors of lesbian/women loving women themed fiction and a handful of very supportive readers who tweet often about the books they read – lesfic or mainstream.
It’s Twitter users from these lists that I’m going to list below. All are worth a follow. I wish I could list them all!
If you’re not an author or reader, especially of WLW themed fiction, there won’t be much here for you. That’s okay. Go off and create your own lists of people who inspire, influence and support you.
Who I Follow on Twitter and You Should Too
- Alli of Indie Authors – indie author support – @IndieAuthorALLI
- amplifiHER – amplifying women’s voices – @amplifiher
- Angel Adams – reader extraordinaire – @angeladams26
- Anne R. Allen – blogger for authors – @annerallen
- Kitty Author – reader, blogger, reviewer, author… – @KittyKatAuthor
- Beth Burnett – author and writing teacher/professor – @BethsNewLife
- BookBub Partners – book marketing – @BookBubPartners
- Alex Brown – reader extraordinaire – @Alexbro11802008
- Suzie Carr – author, blogger, podcaster – @girl_novelist
- Elizabeth Spann Craig – author, book writing blogger – @elizabethscraig
- Crime DP @crime_dp
- Melissa Etheridge – cause she rocks! @metheridge
- The Golden Crown Literary Society (GCLS) @goldencrownls
- Molly Greene – author, writing blogger – @mollygreene
- Greg Hoban – writer and activist – @MyDaughtersArmy
- Jae – author extraordinaire – @JaeFiction
- Karin Kallmaker – author extraordinaire – @Kallmaker
- Susie Kearley – writer and photographer – @susiekearley
- Lambda Literary @LambdaLiterary
- Clare Lydon – author extraordinaire – @ClareLydon
- Courtney Milan – author, blogger, lawyer, slayer of dragons – @courtneymilan
- Joanna Penn – author & writing and book marketing blogger – @thecreativepenn
- Pillar of Motivation @PO_Motivation
- Queer Crime @CrimeQueer
- Fiona Quinn – author, blogger – @FionaQuinnBooks
- Ramblings – motivation and beautiful photographs – @ramblingsloa
- Mark Rubinstein – author, photographer – @mrubinsteinCT
- Sheena – all things lesfic! – @Sheena_LE
- Sobore – travel news & amazing photography – @sobore
- Brandon Shire – LGBT literature, notably gay literature – @TheBrandonShire
- ThrillWriting – write it right – @ThrillWritingFQ
- Trey Stone – always entertaining author – @TreyStoneAuthor
- George Takei – former Star Trek actor, activist, humanist – @GeorgeTakei
- Bruce Van Horn – inspiration and motivation – @BruceVH
- Erin Wade – author extraordinaire – @ErinWadeAuthor
- The Washington Post – what’s going on in the world – @washingtonpost
- Chuck Wendig – author and blogger – @ChuckWendig
- WriteOnSisters – blood, sweat and ink – @tweetonsisters
There are so many more! This isn’t even half of my ‘private’ list and represents only a small portion of my lesfic list. Follow some of these folks. Explore and find your own tribe too. They’re out there tweeting great, interesting and helpful things.